Saturday, August 1, 2009

Understatements

It would be an understatement for me to say that Compassion International is doing a 'good' job at it's task. It would be an understatement to say they are a 'good' organization. It is also an understatement to say that I'm 'glad' I was led to join with them on their journey in fighting poverty.

A good job is an A on a physics test. An unbelievable task would be to score perfect 100s for 8 years straight on every test you have ever taken, physics and algebra included. But Compassion has done just that. Charity Navigator is an independent auditing company that analyzes how wisely a charity utilizes the funds it receives. For EIGHT straight years, Compassion has scored 4 out of 4 stars. Yes, I know, last year I was bragging about seven. But eight?? Just this year, Compassion has scored higher than the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and the Boy Scouts. And they are still in the top 1% of ALL charities. How about that for the over-achiever? Yet still, I just heard another person tell me that their family member thinks these 'child sponsor things' don't work and are just for stealing money. Huh???? Don't think I have heard anyone question giving money to the Boy Scouts lately.

And to say they are doing a 'good' job - here's the latest proof of how great a job they are doing:
I was so excited to get the following pictures of my beautiful Ethiopian sister.

So here's the journey = born in poverty, enrolled in Compassion at the age of 8, saved at the age of 13, and now, as a successful young woman with her ENGINEERING degree, Eyerusalem has graduated and will go on to rock this world with her passion and love for Christ. Read Jerry's own story here.

And me? Am I glad that I got an email years ago which made me wonder, what am I doing to further His kingdom and help others??? Or that I got a postcard a couple days later telling me about being a Compassion Advocate? Am I glad I had so many people turn me down on child sponsorship, giving me that look which says, 'good for you but I'm just too busy / too cash strapped/ too uninterested / too skeptical to help out a child in another part of the world? Yes - I guess I am. I'm glad I saw the skepticism so I could go see the miracle for myself in Africa.

So what's stopping you from doing something that will not leave you with a 'good' feeling for helping, but leave you with an unbelievable experience in being the hands of Christ? Stop being a skeptic of yourself and your own abilities. God didn't create you to live within the boundaries of your comfort zone. He created us to be exceptional; kinda like an organization which can bring a girl out of poverty and turn her into an engineer who has brought 32 people to Christ. Just sayin..

No comments: