Saturday, October 18, 2008

Is it fruit season?


So I am halfway there! With my support letters 2 weeks out, I am now half way to my full support needed by Nov. 24th! That includes an awesome yard sale we were able to do on a main highway last weekend where we racked up $423. Only about $200 more than any other yard sale I have ever done. Take into account that it rained on all the merchandise first thing and was threatening more rain all day and I say that it went pretty well!

So as far as the trip goes, I am really started to get into the planning mode. Now I am on to thinking about dreaded shots (I passed out during my shots for college, what a weanie), domestic flight up to D.C., and what to take for myself and for Amanuel. That has been the most fun! I waited patiently for backpacks to finally go on after school clearance and am now seeing how many goodies I can pack into all the multiple pockets. We have had a good time finding jewels on clearance such as flip flops, hand towels for his mom, new CARS undies, mini photo albums, colored pencils, etc. My biggest challenge is now going to be learning some Amharic words. I am absolutely awful at second languages (who would have thought it for a speech/language therapist). Thankfully, many of those in Ethiopia speak English because saying /ameseghinallehu/ for "thank you" is beyond my mental capabilities!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who have helped with financing my trip! Things started moving along at such a rapid pace when I finally just gave everything over to God. When I decided that if He wanted me to go, He would help make it happen. It just seems like now that it is happening, it is kind of surreal. (I hate that new hip word "surreal", but it just fit). I have had so much of a positive reaction from others that it must be of God. Even T is starting to feel at peace at relinquishing his standing as my protector and letting the great protector carry me under His wing instead. Please continue to pray that everything will continue to progress smoothly.

As an aside, I also purchased two handkerchiefs at a second hand store recently as I figured that most likely, I would be going through a supply of Kleenex over a week and a half. Funny, T absolutely thinks handkerchiefs are the nastiest things ever. Anyway... a recent post on Compassions' bulletin board from someone who went to Ethiopia last year told me to get ready as it will completely break my heart. In his words, "Not because you will feel sorry for their condition, but because they will make you realize your own condition. I met the most selfless, content, faithful, and loving people and I try every day to be more like them. " It brought to mind:

Matthew 13:22
The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life and the lure of wealth, so no fruit is produced.

Sometimes I think how much easier we would be able to hear the whisper of the Lord without the cell phone's ring, TV's call, or computer screen's lure. In the US, we think we have so much but are we really the ones that are lacking? Everything we have will one day waste away and then where will we stand? So my education begins in February. And I can't wait to get started as I feel that I have just begun to get a glimpse of my destitution through my work with Compassion. The above poster Steven also wrote that, "we never regret the good things we do, only the good things we don't do." Something to think about, how much fruit have I produced lately?

3 comments:

Beth said...

I am so excited to see how this entire experience grows you closer to Christ! We will be praying that God uses your family through this to grow His Kingdom!

Anonymous said...

The only thing that matters in life is what we do for the Lord. Plant your seed now. The harvest is yet to come. Every little bit matters.
Sherri

Tracy said...

Funny you say that Sherri - their new campaign on the advocate side right now is a harvest theme based on John 4:34-35. Wes Stafford, the President, was told by a stranger after a presentation in which he spoke on a harvest while showing kernels of wheat - that she didn't know what his job was, but that God had told her to tell him that "this is only the beginning of a harvest that you cannot even imagine. Those kernels represent seeds God has for you - seeds for a far greater harvest." Their Advocate numbers grew by an astronomical rate last year and their sponsorships are steady, even with the global economy. He signed off with "the fields are ripe, my friends. The harvest is coming."