Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Hummus Habesha style

In Ethiopia, Habesha is their word for true Ethiopian.    I, however, am a ferenque.   And I'm cool with that.   As long as I can insert little moments of Ethiopian love into my life, I'm good.

Backstory: My dear sister Jerry loves me.  And brought me a Mac-Daddy bag of berbere when she came to visit a few months back.   And I'm not even going to tell you how excited I was to get the powder to make shiro.   Seriously, I was ecstatic.

Hence I am on a mission to find uses for that huuuuge container of berbere.   Add it to chicken salad?  Of course!   Dust baked chicken?  Sure.   Sprinkle it on plain popcorn?  Yes, please!!!!

And now, I present my new favorite - 

 


  Black Bean Berbere Hummus

Can I get an Amen to the sheer genius of this marriage? I actually had pinned a recipe for Black Bean Hummus on a Chef-in-Training site.    So if you aren't lucky enough to have berbere (I was having to order it from an Ethiopian spice company.   Seriously, go order some now.), you can use her combination of spices as well.   But for those of you who stashed berbere away on your trip back from Ethiopia, here ya go:

(I doubled her recipe to make enough for our small group.  So thankful I did!  Leftovers for lunch!)

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
4 T olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 T white wine vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt
2-3 T Berbere, depending on how much heat you like.   I used 2 T.
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped

*combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.  Serve with veggies, tortilla chips, or homemade chips.


* I originally had made homemade corn tortilla chips with berbere as well.   Cut them in 6 pieces, place on baking sheet and spray with a good bit of cooking spray, and sprinkle with berbere and kosher salt.   Bake at 350 for around 10 min. until brown and crunchy.   Umm, they went quickly.   (I burned my second batch so didn't get a picture... figures).


1 comment:

Olivia Wilson said...

I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting (smithhackingcompanyltd@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: smithhackingcompanyltd@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(360)6370612