Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Blame it on the Rain

Written a few weeks back, and just now finished (cause I've kinda been a bit busy)

People have asked me - 'how did your kids do in Africa?' Amazing. Great. They loved it. Seth was begging me to take him back for trip #2. My response, "Bud, if you go back; you will fail 6th grade." I think he would have been ok with that...

Braeden prayed yesterday for the guard at the guest house who had played soccer with them to be safe (and to dream about them).   One of the boys woke up a couple nights after we returned home and said he had had a bad dream that he was one of the boys living on the streets.   These are the feelings I had hoped they would feel.    Eyes opened with new vision.

Addison, I thought, just went with the flow. She saw dirt, and poverty. But she also saw kids. And she played. And saw hippos. I thought she was too young to really process and learn a lot from this trip but there was no way I was leaving her at home. But I didn't think she would 'get it' - that life lesson I wanted the boys to learn. But oh, was I wrong.  One night after our trip (prior to bringing Olivia home)  while  coming out of the movies, it was a torrential downpour. Like the kind where you get soaked to the bone even with an umbrella. The streets were flooded instantly and Daddy had to go and get the car for us from across the street. As we waited underneath the overhang of the Little Theatre, her eyes went big and she had that look of terror. "Mommy! What about Olivia!??!! What will happen to her in all this rain???" So I explained that Olivia will be fine. It was not raining that exact moment in Ethiopia, and even if it were, Olivia would be nice and warm inside the transition home. To which her eyes got big again and she asked, "but what about all the little boys who live on the street??? Where will they go!!??!!!" To which I had no soothing answer.

 Because there are so, so many little boys living on the streets of Addis.   And big boys. Sleeping in the medians.  And old people. And handicapped. And mothers with babies and toddlers huddled under their shawls.  

 And it is now the rainy season in the city of Addis.   A necessity for crop production but a season which brings tropical storm type winds and heavy rains almost every day.  And where DO they go?  And why don't we care as much as my 6 year old??? 



And even for some 'lucky' enough to have shelter.... how much shelter from torrential downpours can this be? 
 homes we passed on the way up Mt. Entoto

On those nights when I complain about my back hurting from our super thick mattress... or I complain about having to pay to have a brand new roof put on our house after our last one was damaged...  I stop myself and thank God; for blessed doesn't even seem to describe our affluent lives.....

2 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

You know, when we set out to follow in obedience God's calling on our lives, we know that it will change us.

In the case of adoption, we know it will change the life of the child we adopt. What we hardly ever seem to recognize from the onset is the eternal impact it will have on our biological children.

You've changed your children's lives Tracey. And not just Olivia's. From the time you and Tony said yes to God, your children's lives were forever changes. Praise God for your obedience!

Little Wonders said...

Hi Tracey!
Amy M. (I think you guys attend the same church?) was kind enough to pass on your blog to me. We're in the very beginning stages of (hopefully!) adopting a baby boy from Ethiopia and I'd love to pick your brain some time :) Our adoption agency is based in the Carolinas and I'm wondering if it's the same one you used? When your life has settled down a bit, shoot me an e-mail: estherslittlewonders@gmail.com

Congratulations on bringing your baby girl home, she is just beautiful. And on your happy ending to the long and grueling process of international adoption!