Friday, February 26, 2010

If you have kids - READ THIS

I'm in the middle of reading "I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla" - a great book written by an African-American psychologist for parents and teachers of bi-racial or AA kids. Definitely an eye opener. Today it was recommended to read the following post and it is great - a good lesson for those of us who have never dealt with this kind of prejudice, but need to teach our kids how to 1) deal with prejudice of others or 2) learn how NOT to be that kid that practices racism, or something dangerously close to it in their child-like way.

Bigotry, Blindness, and Basketball

3 comments:

Hall Family said...

Thanks for the link!

JG said...

Wow. I think there's a line between "Mommy, why is he chocolate?" (which my 4-year-old said to my stunned mother in front of some friends) and "I don't want to hold HIS hand." One, it seems, is part of a kid's development. The other is my in-laws. My MIL still doesn't "get" why my friends are adopting kids from Ethiopia and why I'm excited for them. I think the author is right - it doesn't necessarily mean the family is racist, it could just be the parents have never taken the time to correct bad views. Anyway, thanks for posting. Good food for thought.

The Beaver Bunch said...

I've heard from a couple people who have adopted AA children (and they are white) that that book is great.

I'd love to hear a final review when you're finished.