Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oprah scares me

So I have a hard time keeping my mind on topic. I go from unstoppable bragging about my kids to theology in the blink of an eye. Maybe Seth's attention difficulties aren't all T's fault.

My dad travels a great deal and is an avid reader as myself. Or my previous self. Before the internet and the pesky task of feeding the children. (Just kidding mom.) He passes all his used paperbacks down to me and just loaned me "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young. I hesitated as I had heard that some Christians were offended by "The Shack" but I couldn't remember why. Dad summed my concerns up completely - "It was about 90% good but 10% disturbing." After some thought and after reading the book, I completely agreed. But as we discussed, it is that 10% that is just enough to lead an immature Christian astray. And the book does a wonderful job of making you think and making you question. However, what it leads you to question is the Bible itself, which in my mind, is the Truth and always will be the truth. In "The Shack", I read the following:
  • The characterization of God the father says, "I don’t need to punish people for sin. Sin is its own punishment, devouring you from the inside. It’s not my purpose to punish it; it’s my joy to cure it.”
  • "Jesus" says, "Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims.... I have no desire to make them Christian, but I do want to join them in their transformation into sons and daughters of my Papa, into my brothers and sisters.”
  • And Jesus also said, “'Who said anything about being a Christian? I’m not a Christian."
  • When asked - "Are you saying I don't have to follow the rules?'..." God the father (papa), says, "'Yes. In Jesus you are not under any law. All things are lawful."

So, back to Oprah. No surprise, she promotes similar ideas as found in "The Shack". A touchy, feely, watered down version of salvation with no reason for heaven or hell. No punishment for sin. No basis for the death of Christ. No supremacy given to God, we can be an equal.
Here's the danger in thinking that anyone who believes "What about Jesus?" and that other paths can lead to God or "the light". Lucifer himself is known as "the angel of light".
“No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:16)
“And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)

The other night, while reading 2 Timothy, a couple of verses jumped off the pages at me - "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. ...... lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.

Now here is my issue, finally. Paul was speaking of false prophets in the last days. Wouldn't you think false prophets would be speaking to large gatherings? Or in a public arena? And who do you think would be singled out as the object of false prophets? Influential people? The uneducated or elderly? Certainly not the common housewife? In what other way can you place a false prophet worming their way into homes and speaking to women, other than the spiritual teachings of Oprah and her "friends"?

So while I know I may have housewives throwing rotten vegetables into my comment box, I have to point out - Oprah, Marianne Williamson (A Course in Miracles), and Eckhart Toile (her spiritual adviser) are mere humans. Their opinion is their opinion. The Bible, on the other hand, was written by an Almighty God who does not change and does not err.

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance with their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.” (2 Timothy 4:3)

“But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons…” (1 Timothy 4:2)

"Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. " (1 Timothy 4:16)

**So please, good or bad, throw some comments my way so I will know whether I am just a paranoid-Oprah-bashing-nut or whether I should plug my ears whenever I hear her indoctrination coming over my radio airwaves.

2 comments:

Vicki Small said...

Hi, Tracy,

What an excellent blog! I agree with you re: Oprah and all the other false prophets of our day. Besides all that you said--or quoted from scripture--about the material in The Shack, this mushy, no-substance cream of wh*at version of Jesus and the Father requires no commitment. And, quoting you, "No supremacy given to God, we can be an equal" sounds just like what the serpant said to Eve.

I'm adding your blog to my blog roll and to my Favorites. As a certain movie star-turned-governor once said, "I'll be back!"

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Scary like minds girl.

http://itsalmostnaptime.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-am-richer-than-oprah.html